By Ignacio Bunye
The multi-awarded LGU of Muntinlupa City has added two more best practices feathers in its cap.
The National Archives of the Philippines, thru its Executive Director Victorino Manalo, cited Muntinlupa as the best model (among LGUs) for records management in the country.
Muntinlupa recently turned over to the National Archives its archival records of local and national importance – the very first LGU to do so.
Muntinlupa City Mayor Jaime Fresnedi explained that the turnover of documents was in line with the LGU’s thrust to advance efficient records management as a tool for transparency and accountability.
Fresnedi explained that the move is meant to address huge information gaps created when LGU records are not properly turned from an outgoing administration to the next.
Executive Director Manalo said that Muntinlupa City has bestowed on the National Archives a treasure that will definitely enrich its collection. He expressed hope that other LGUs would follow suit.
More recently, Muntinlupa also earned kudos for its initiative in grassroots communication thru the establishment of the country’s first local active barangay information officers’ network.
In 2014, Muntinlupa City Public Information Officer Tez Valencia Navarro created the network, consisting of 50 information officers from the city’s nine barangays and offices of the city government.
The group has been consistently assisting the city government in facilitating information and education campaigns – an initiative which has even caught the attention of Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Martin Andanar.
Other significant awards and recognition previously given to Muntinlupa City include the following:
- “Most Business-Friendly City in the Philippines in 2017” by the Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PCCI).
- “Top 3 Most Competitive Highly Urbanized Cities in Government Efficiency” by the National Competitive Council.
- “Most Child-Friendly City in the National Capital Region” by the Regional Council for the Welfare of Children.
- “Most Innovative LGU.”
- “Best in Program Effectiveness.”
- “Most Improved Nutrition Program Management.”
- “Jose Rizal Award for Bloodletting Program.”
- “Best in Health Emergency Management in Metro Manila.”