MMDA urges public: Avoid traffic jams, use 12 new Christmas lanes
With traffic jams increasing due to the Christmas rush, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) on Wednesday opened 12 alternate routes or “Christmas Lanes” for motorists to take to avoid getting stuck in traffic.
The MMDA urged the public to use these Christmas Lanes, which it said are meant to avoid traffic congestion.
“Merry Christmas Lanes from MMDA!” MMDA traffic discipline head Yves Gonzalez said on his Twitter account.
An Instagram photo Gonzalez posted online showed MMDA traffic constables wearing Santa hats at one of the Christmas Lanes.
The MMDA, in a news release posted on its website early Wednesday, said the lanes were to be formally opened at 7 a.m. at the EDSA-West Avenue intersection in Quezon City.
“We’re hoping that these Christmas Lanes will help motorists plan their trips well and avoid traffic congestion,” MMDA Chairman Francis Tolentino said.
Tolentino said the new routes lead to and from shopping centers in Makati, Pasay, San Juan, Manila, Marikina and Quezon Cities, where traffic is usually heavy during December.
The MMDA listed the following new Christmas Lanes:
1. From Greenhills to Rockwell: Take Wilson Street, left at P. Guevarra, Luna Mencias, right at Araullo, left at Balagtas, right at Shaw Blvd., left at Acacia Lane, left at Fabella Road, right at M. Martinez Ave., Maysilo, right at Sgt. Bumatay, take Pantaleon Bridge to Rockwell.
2. From SM North Edsa to Greenhills: take West Ave., left at Examiner, right at Quezon Ave., take u-turn slot near Magbanua, take Scout Borromeo, right at Tomas Morato Ave., right at E. Rodriguez Sr. Ave., left at Gilmore Ave., Granada, Ortigas Ave. to Greenhills.
3. From SM San Lazaro to SM Mall of Asia: take A.H. Lacson, Nagtahan, Pres. Quirino Ave., left at M. Adriatico Ave., Vito Cruz, straight to Park Ave., right to Buendia Ave., left to Macapagal Blvd. to Mall of Asia and vice-versa.
4. From SM North Edsa to Araneta Center: along North Ave., right to Elliptical Road, right at Kalayaan, K-J Street, 15th Street, right at Aurora Blvd. to Araneta Center and vice-versa.
5. From Dapitan Market to Divisoria: take Dapitan St., right at A.H. Lacson, left at Tayuman, left to Dagupan to Divisoria.
6. From Baclaran to Divisoria: take Roxas Blvd., Anda Circle, right to A. Soriano Jr., Muralla, left to Magallanes Drive, left at Q. Paredes, Reina Regente to Divisoria Mall and vice-versa.
7. From SM Sta. Mesa to SM North EDSA: along Araneta Ave., right to Del Monte, left at Roosevelt, right at Baler, left at Miller Ave., right at Calumpit, left at Bansalangin, right at EDSA to SM North EDSA and vice-versa.
8. From SM Manila to Greenhills: take San Marcelino, left at U.N. Ave., right at Pres. Quirino, right at Figueroa, left at Pedro Gil, New Panaderos, right at Shaw Blvd., left at A. Mabini, right at Wilson to Ortigas Greenhills.
9. From Trinoma to SM Marikina: along North Ave., QMC, right at Kalayaan Ave., left at V. Luna, right at Anonas, left at Chico, Xavierville Ave., right at Katipunan, u-turn at Aurora Blvd., Marcos Highway to SM Marikina and vice-versa.
10. From Eastwood to Ortigas Center: take E. Rodriguez Jr. Ave., right to Green Meadows, right at Ortigas Ave., left at Lanuza, right to DoÃ±a J. Vargas to Ortigas Center and vice-versa.
11. From Ortigas Center to Makati Business District: take ADB Ave., San Miguel Ave., left at Shaw Blvd., right at Pioneer, right at Reliance, left at Sheridan, right at Pioneer, pass Boni tunnel to Maysilo, right at San Francisco, left at Coronado, take Mandaluyong Bridge to Makati Business District and vice-versa.
12. From Harrison to Rockwell: take P. Ocampo, right at Arellano Ave., left at Zobel Roxas, right at Kamagong, left at Chino Roces Ave., right at Kalayaan Ave. to Rockwell.
—KG, GMA News