Energy Saving Tips
With the rising electricity costs and everything actually, here are some tips for every homeowner to follow to lessen that amount that always makes you frown every month:
- Unplug televisions and other electronic devices when not in use. Do not leave them on standby mode because this uses 10% to as much as 60% of the electricity, as if devices are switched on.
- Use compact fluorescent lights instead of incandescent bulb. Incandescent lamps really use a lot of electricity. A single 60-watt lamp which is used 5 hours/day would cost (at the present price of PhP 7/ KwH) PhP 63/month. If this lamp is replaced by a 12-watt Compact Fluorescent Lamp (CFL) – which gives out the same amount of light as a 60-watt incandescent lamp – the cost per month would go down to about PhP 13/month, resulting in a PhP 50/month savings for just replacing a single lamp!
- Use natural light during the day. Open the blinds and shutters and allow some direct sunlight into your home.
- Lessen the use of air-conditioners or electric fans by having good ventilation at home. Windows or other openings on opposite sides of your home will help draw air through.
- Use electric fans instead of air-conditioners. Fans use 98% less electricity.
- Iron your clothes all at once. You will save energy on warming the iron each time you use it.
- When drying your clothes, (especially in the summer time) instead of using drying equipments, wring out clothes and hang them directly under the sun.
- Open refrigerators only when needed. According to , door openings account for 7% of your fridge energy use. Close the fridge door quickly so that it does not use extra power to return to its optimal cooling level.
- Use katol, instead of using electric mosquito repellants
- Use kettle in heating water, instead of using electric heating devices
If you have other tips, please feel free to post them here:)