With the rising electricity costs and everything actually, here are some tips for every homeowner to follow to lessen that amount that always makes you frown every month:
- Unplug televisions and other electronic devices when not in use. Do not leave them on standby mode because this uses 10% to as much as 60% of the electricity, as if devices are switched on.
- Use compact fluorescent lights instead of incandescent bulb. Incandescent lamps really use a lot of electricity. A single 60-watt lamp which is used 5 hours/day would cost (at the present price of PhP 7/ KwH) PhP 63/month. If this lamp is replaced by a 12-watt Compact Fluorescent Lamp (CFL) – which gives out the same amount of light as a 60-watt incandescent lamp – the cost per month would go down to about PhP 13/month, resulting in a PhP 50/month savings for just replacing a single lamp!
- Use natural light during the day. Open the blinds and shutters and allow some direct sunlight into your home.
- Lessen the use of air-conditioners or electric fans by having good ventilation at home. Windows or other openings on opposite sides of your home will help draw air through.
- Use electric fans instead of air-conditioners. Fans use 98% less electricity.
- Iron your clothes all at once. You will save energy on warming the iron each time you use it.
- When drying your clothes, (especially in the summer time) instead of using drying equipments, wring out clothes and hang them directly under the sun.
- Open refrigerators only when needed. According to , door openings account for 7% of your fridge energy use. Close the fridge door quickly so that it does not use extra power to return to its optimal cooling level.
- Use katol, instead of using electric mosquito repellants
- Use kettle in heating water, instead of using electric heating devices
If you have other tips, please feel free to post them here:)