Paranaque flood control program passes first test
Parañaque City Mayor Edwin L. Olivarez today said the absence of floods in the city, even in its most flood-prone areas, during Thursdaynight’s heavy downpour is a very encouraging sign that the city’s ongoing flood control program is working.
“This is just a first test, but the result is very heartening and encouraging,” the mayor said, noting that even though neighboring cities experienced heavy floods, the whole of Parañaque was flood-free Thursday night.
“Even our most flood-prone areas along Dr. A. Santos Avenue (Sucat Road), from Fourth Estate in the second district to San Dionisio and the vicinity of Multinational Village in the first district were all not flooded last night,” he said.
Mayor Olivarez attributed the welcome development to the various flood control measures that he initiated since assuming office nearly a year ago, including the clearing and rehabilitation of major waterways, the resettlement of informal settler families along the banks of the Parañaque River, and the purchase of modern dredging equipment.
He mentioned in particular the 300-meter flood diversion channel which the Department of Public Works and Highways and the city government jointly constructed along the boundary of Barangays San Dionisio and Moonwalk to hasten the flow of floodwaters from the Parañaque River to Manila Bay.
“I think it (diversion channel) is working very well,” Mayor Olivarez said. “But we have to wait until the really heavy rains come to see whether it is really effective in finally solving our flood problems for good. We are keeping our fingers crossed.”
The mayor launched an all-out flood control program after large swathes of the city were submerged during last year’s monsoon rains or Habagat which came in August, when he was barely two months in office.