MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED/CORRECTED)– The number of dengue cases in Muntinlupa City increased by 337% in the first half of 2011, a local health official said.
Muntinlupa City health officer Dr. Erlinda Patac said the city recorded a total of 258 cases of dengue from January to July.
Patac said this is 337% higher compared to the same period last year with 59 cases.
Patac added the city recorded 5 deaths as of August 5.
Health officials are monitoring the situation in barangays Potatan, Tunasan, Poblacion, Bayanan, Cupang, Buli and Alabang where most of the cases were recorded.
Patac called abs-cbnNEWS.com to correct a dzMM report that the city has declared a dengue outbreak. She said no such declaration has been made.
Muntinlupa Mayor Aldrin San Pedro, meanwhile, has directed hospitals to establish dengue fast-lane counters.
Residents manifesting dengue symptoms were also encouraged to undergo testing in their respective barangay centers.
In Malabon, meanwhile, cases of dengue went up by 90%, city health officer Dr. Rosauro Garcia said.
Garcia said the city recorded 491 cases of dengue in the city from January to August, higher than the same period last year with 259.
Two persons have already died there due to dengue.
Residents from barangays Longos, Potrero, Catmon, Tenejeros and Tonsuya were advised to take extra measures to avoid dengue. – Reports from Dennis Datu and Jon Ibañez
Meanwhile, the Muntinlupa City Health Office said that there are no more abandoned swimming pools inside Ayala Alabang Village that may breed dengue-carrying mosquitoes.
To help everyone avoid being hit by dengue, click on this link for tips on how to make your homes dengue-free.