As the Holy Week exodus starts to peak, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority released early Tuesday a list of alternate routes motorists can take during this time.
MMDA Chairman Francis Tolentino particularly advised motorists to avoid parts of Pasig City and Quiapo in Manila during Holy Week, in anticipation of heavy traffic during traditional Lenten processions.
“The public is advised to steer away from the said areas particularly on dates when Holy Week processions will be held, as these might cause heavy traffic,” Tolentino said.
Tolentino also appealed to the public to plan their trips accordingly, especially with the early suspension of the number coding scheme.
He also urged them to cooperate with traffic enforcers and other authorities to achieve a “safe, convenient, and meaningful Lent.”
Closed roads in Pasig
In Pasig City, the Traffic and Parking Management Office had announced the closure of various roads on April 4, 6, and 8 for citywide Holy Week processions.
The MMDA urged the public to take these alternate routes:
- From rotunda from Pasig Mega Market: Take F. Manalo Street, left to E. Angeles Street, left to C. Raymundo Avenue to destination.
- From San Joaquin/B. Bayan from Pasig Mega Market: Take Balderrama Street, right to F. Antonio Street, left to Pio Alvarez Street, cross Kalawaan Bridge, right to Elisco Road to destination.
- To Pasig Mega Market from B. Bayan/San Joaquin: Take Elisco Road, left to M. Jimenez Street, cross Kalawaan Bridge, left to F. Antonio Street, right to F. Manalo Street, right to Caruncho Avenue to destination.
- To Crossing/Quiapo from B. Bayan/San Joaquin: Take M. Concepcion Street, right to C-5 Road to destination.
- To Marikina from B. Bayan/San Joaquin: Take R. Jabson Street, to cross Bambang Bridge, left to E. Santos Street, right to Lopez Jaena Street, to cross Sta. Rosa De Lima Bridge to destination.
- To San Joaquin/B. Bayan from rotunda: Take C-5 Road, u-turn at Kalayaan, right to San Guillermo Street, straight to M. Concepcion Street, to destination.
- To Pasig Mega Market from rotunda: Take C. Raymundo Avenue, right to Mercedes Avenue, right to Market Avenue to destination.
Traffic may be heavy in the vicinity of Quiapo until April 8 for Lenten activities such as:
- the Stations of the Cross
- Easter vigil
- Procession of the Black Nazarene on the morning of Good Friday
- Procession of Santo Entierro and Mater Dolorosa at 5 p.m. of Good Friday
- “Salubong” on Easter Sunday.
Motorists are advised to take the following alternate routes:
- From A. Mendoza to Baclaran: Take Quezon Boulevard flyover then take Quezon Boulevard Service Road, right to C.M. Recto, left to Rizal Avenue, to destination.
- From España to Baclaran: Take Morayta, left to C.M. Recto toward Legarda, then right to Legarda toward Ayala Boulevard to Taft Avenue to destination.
- From España to Baclaran (alternate route): Take Morayta, right to C.M. Recto toward Rizal Avenue, then left to Rizal Avenue toward McArthur Bridge to destination.
- From Baclaran to España: Take Ayala Boulevard toward Legarda, straight to Bustillos, left to Earnshaw toward H. Loyola, then right to Loyola, left to A.H. Lacson, right to España.
Antipolo alternate routes
Motorists are advised to take alternate routes going to Antipolo, particularly on Maundy Thursday and Good Friday, as thousands are expected to join the annual “Alay Lakad” or the pilgrimage leading to the Antipolo Church.
Vehicles going to Antipolo may take the following alternate routes:
- Along Ortigas to Antipolo: Left turn at Imelda Avenue toward Marcos Highway, then right to Marcos Highway all the way to Sumulong Highway, then right to Sumulong Highway to Antipolo.
- Along EDSA to Antipolo: Right turn at Aurora Boulevard, toward Marcos Highway, all the way to Sumulong Highway, then right to Sumulong Highway to Antipolo.
- Along C-5 to Antipolo: Right turn at Ortigas Avenue, then left at Imelda Avenue toward Marcos Highway, then right to Marcos Highway all the way to Sumulong Highway, then right to Sumulong Highway to Antipolo.
–KG, GMA News