After a fire hit one of the houses inside the village last month, the Ayala Alabang Village Association issued some tips on how to prevent fires inside homes.
- For your safety and peace of mind, have a competent electrician—preferably licensed—check all electrical connections in your home.
- Upgrade you electrical system once you start adding appliances like aircon, water heater, TV, computers, etc.
- Never smoke in bed.
- Do not allow children to play with matches and lighters.
- Do not overload electrical outlets or use octopus connections.
- Do not leave electrical appliances on. Unplug them after use.
- See to it that all stoves are switched off/unplugged before going to bed.
- Do not allow burning of dry glass, rubbish and/or any waste materials.
- Do not store flammable liquid and cleaning fluids near the stove or where they easily can catch fire.
- See to it that your LPG tank valve is closed after use.
If there is already fire, AAVA asked its residents to immediately call AAVA Security (842-1111 or 842-2222).
“In case of fire, the smoke is usually more dangerous than the flames. If you think you will not be able to extinguish the flames, do not panic. Evacuate the premises calmly,” said AAVA, adding that fire extinguishers and a bucket of water can initially control small fire.