Aguilar warns barangay chairmen vs failure to clear Las Piñas of obstructions
Las Piñas City Mayor Imelda T. Aguilar has warned the 20 barangay chairmen of extreme consequence if they fail to clear their areas of all obstructions and illegal structures.
Mayor Aguilar, with Vice Mayor April Aguilar, on Thursday met with the barangay officials from the city’s two districts and laid down the city government’s plan of action to rid all roads and sidewalks of illegal vendors, illegally parked vehicles and overlapping structures, including those unfinished excavations by various service utilities.
The meeting focused on road and street situations in the Barangays, spanning the Alabang-Zapote Road which is the city’s main artery, and the strategy on how to enforce the clearing operations.
“You will be accountable to me if you fail to implement the rules that endanger the lives of our fellow Las Piñero,” she told the barangay officials.
Mayor Aguilar, along with other Metro Manila mayors, have committed to the 60-day period given by Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Eduardo Año to clear the metro roads of obstructions.
But prior to the DILG directive, Mayor Aguilar already convened Task Force Kaayusan last month which immediately conducted clearing operations in the city to address concerns on traffic and road hazards. The task force is composed of the Estate Management and Development Office (EMDO), City Engineering Office, the local Philippine National Police, Business Permit and Licensing Office (BPLO), and spearheaded by the Mayor’s Office.
“These obstructions must be permanently rid from our main road, which is the Alabang-Zapote Road, as well as the inner roads must likewise be cleared of any obstacles. Let us give back the sidewalks to the pedestrians and the roads to motorists,” Mayor Aguilar said.
She also requested the City Council, through Vice Mayor April, to review the existing ordinances on obstruction and public order and safety.