Las Pinas is a beautiful place and is also one of the fastest growing communities in Metro Manila. It’s one of the cleanest and safest cities to be found in the Philippines. Las Pinas’ history dates back many years and is an exciting tale of creation, redemption, and transformation into the city it is today. There are a diversity of professions available within its limits, such as foreign language teachers and technology-related jobs. For those interested in foreign language positions, be sure to head over to the resources page at ESL/Bilingual/TESOL degrees. For those interested in history, read on.
In the Beginning
A Spanish missionary who came to the land during Spain’s 400-year-rule helped to set up Las Pinas toward new progress and development. His name was Father Diego Cera and he was brought in by the Spaniards to Paranaque, which was later to break to become Las Pinas (Las Pinas City). Through hard work, Cera was able to create the Las Pinas church in 1819 in addition to newly built roads and bridges. The path toward development was furthered by the roads and bridges providing an avenue for the improvement of dye making, salt production, and crafts.
Despite the progress, there were initial setbacks and troubles. An outbreak of cholera and smallpox led to many lives being lost in 1880. Bandits and criminals took what they wanted during these trying times from the people of Las Pinas. Years later, the Philippine revolution took place in which citizens revolted against Spain’s rule. Las Pinas became a central battleground with the two sides clashing as the Philippines fought valiantly for their independence and eventually won.
It was years after the Philippine-American war that Las Pinas was divided from Paranaque and was allowed to become an independent municipality. Through the years, wars, violence, theft, and illness tested the citizens. But they became stronger for it. The city was even occupied during World War II by the Japanese (World66).
In the 1960s, Las Pinas constructed their South Super Highways and this was the beginning of the current expansion and development. For those looking to get away from the congested and populated centers of greater Manila’s inner cities, Las Pinas became a welcome respite for weary souls. What began many years ago as a work in progress has transformed itself into a bustling urban center of activity. Investors, business owners, home owners, and large industries all share the area.
With the advent of the Coastal Road constructed during the 1980s, economic growth erupted. According to its official website, Las Pinas serves as the proper gateway to the CALABARZON, which is the combination of Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, and Quezon. The people who reside there today are sophisticated urbanites who work in a variety of industries, from high-tech companies to bamboo organ, salt beds, and Jeepney factories.
In reality, the city of Las Pinas didn’t come into fruition until 1997, when president Fidel V. Ramos signed a bill into law that stated Las Pinas was a true city. The townsfolk approved the change and it became officially known as Las Pinas City.