Two kids die in Las Pinas fire
MANILA, Philippines – Two children died after being a trapped in a burning house in Las Piñas City before dawn Thursday.
Eloisa Mae Bialza, 9, and Marc Elvis Bialza, 7, died after a fire struck their house in Lorenzo Compound in Barangay Talon Uno.
Marilou Bialza, mother of the victims, said there was a lit candle on the first floor of the house, but she claimed to have put it out.
Marilou said about an hour later, flames engulfed the first floor after she heard a loud thump.
Marilou’s children, who were sleeping at the time the blaze started, were trapped on the second floor. It was not clear how Marilou got out of the house.
Eloisa Mae and Marc Elvis were seen crying for help, but could not get out because of the grills of their room window. The rescuers were unable to save them from the fire, which lasted for about an hour.
The victims were found hugging each other, but their bodies were not charred from the fire. This led officials to conclude that the two children died of suffocation.
Meanwhile, Marilou was sent to Las Piñas General Hospital for treatment. Her husband is an overseas worker.
The remains of the two victims were brought to Funeraria Filipinas for autopsy. – report from Jacque Manabat, ABS-CBN News